Wednesday, June 15, 2016

June 15, 2016

Good morning Ladies, PTL sciatica has improved! Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. I hope you are all finding blessings in our study "Lord, I Want to Know You". This week we learned three new names of our God: Adonai, Jehovah, Jehovah-Jireh.

During this weeks study song was stuck in my head "El Shaddai, El Shaddai, El-elyon na Adonai age to age your still the same by the power of the name."-Amy Grant

Lets' review together.

Day 13

Adonai: Lord and Master (supreme in authority, controller).

In chapter 6 of our study, Kay writes " Before you can really know God as El Shaddai, the all sufficient One, I believe you must bow before Him as Adonai, your Lord and Master."

We learned that God as Adonai is first referenced in scripture in Genesis 15:2 during the establishment of the LORD's covenant with Abram.

15:1 "After this the LORD came to Abram in a vision: I am you shield, your very great reward." 15:2 "But Abram said, Sovereign Lord, what can you give me since I remain childless and the one who will inherit my estate is Eliezer of Damascus?"

We looked at several examples in scripture of the Lord as Adonai: Psalm 89: 50-51, Psalm 141:8-10, Psalm 119:125, Judges 6:14-16.

One of my life verses is Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." It still amazes me how much strength He does and is willing to give me.

Our TNBS of Gideon in the book of Judges with Priscilla Shirer was an awesome example of how God uses us and gives us His strength to accomplish great things for His glory.

We also looked at several scriptures that gave example of what God is Lord and Master over:
Deuteronomy 9:26, 1 Kings 2:26, Psalm 2:4, 8:1, 6-8, 37:12-13, 97:5, 114:7, 135:5, 136:3.
Our lives, our inheritance, people, nations, death, priests, kings, heaven, Earth, animals, birds, fish, the sea, all creation, judgement, mountains, mercy, all gods.

Day 14

Our God is Adonai yet we (myself included) still struggle at times letting go of control over our lives and trusting in Him. (Utt oh another song in my head "Jesus Take the Wheel"- Carrie Underwood) Giving Him the praise and glory that He deserves as the source of our strength. That life verse Phil. 14:3 sits on my desk at work; yet at times I look right past it and my Lord and allow the stress of a situation to start creeping in and affect my attitude, my spiritual and even physical being. Why?

"And why do you call Me, Lord, Lord and do not do what I say?" Luke 6:46

"And if I am a master where is My respect? says the LORD of hosts to you, O priests who despise My name... Malachi 1:6

Several examples of believers in scripture who believed in God as Adonai, yet when called upon by God doubted His promise to see them through: Moses, Malachi, Jonah.

Kay asks if God is Adonai, what about His Son? We are given several scriptures that are proof of Jesus is Adonai: Luke 14:25-27, Matt 10:34-40, John 13:13-16, Romans 10:8-10, Matt 7:21-27.

Day 15

Jehovah-the Self-Existent One

Memory Verse: And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, 'Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, I AM has sent me to you." Exodus 3:14.

We learned that  the name Jehovah speaks to God's essence or being. Jehovah the self-existent one, Alpha and Omega, the same yesterday, today and forever. This is our assurance that God will keep his promises of old; He does not change. His word is unwavering, We can put our trust in Him and He will remain faithful. He is who He says He is; He keeps His word.  In addition to the scripture we looked at on this day; verses of scripture that have been an assurance to me: Gen. 21:33, Hab. 3:6, Mal. 3:6.

Days 16-17

Jehovah-jireh: The Lord Will Provide

"Who am I that You are mindful of me, That You hear me when I call, Is it true that You are thinking of me, How You love me it's amazing....I am a friend of God...He call me friend. -Israel ( Yes, another praise song!)

The Lord WILL provide and WANTS to provide for us; His children! How awesome is that?!

In studying Genesis 22: 1-19 the story of Abraham and his willingness at God's command to respond in obedience and sacrifice his only son Isaac we see how our God in response to Abraham's obedience, reverence and love for God, spared Isaac and provided the ram for the sacrifice. Abraham provides an example to us in our relationship with God of love, worship, obey.

The Lord will provide-always. He may surprise us, He may perplex us, He makes us wait until the time is right; but He will provide. God always blesses obedience, obedience follows faith, faith follows obedience.

Day 18

The New Testament in the Old Testament concealed, The Old Testament in the New Testament revealed. The first time we see Jehovah-jireh in the Old Testament we see a father offering his son as sacrifice.

God through His mercy and love for us provides the ultimate our eternal salvation through the sacrifice of His only Son Jesus Christ on the cross. God's love for His children amazing beyond words; to provide for our eternal salvation at such tremendous sacrifice. Worthy of all our glory and praise. Yet He still wants to provide more- for all our needs in our day to day existence here on Earth; and to have a personal relationship with each one of us. How awesome is that?


Response questions for this week's study:

1. Why is it important to know God as Adonai before you call on Him as El Shaddai?

2. In light of Jesus Christ being Adonai, how would you explain Matthew 7:21-22 to another?

3. Jehovah is the God of the covenant. From your study, what did you learn about your covenant-keeping Jehovah that can be applied to your life today?

Debbie <><


























No comments:

Post a Comment